How to Book a Tatkal Ticket via IRCTC Next Gen Portal?
IRCTC lets you plan your travel well in advance but what if you have to travel in an emergency? Well, finding a ticket, in this case, can be a tough job as most of the train tickets are on the wait list. IRCTC has a provision in this case so as to help you in traveling via train in case of emergency. In such a case, you can book a ticket under Tatkal Quota and this helps you in getting the ticket even when the general quota tickets are not available.
There are some things that you must be aware of before you even plan to book a Tatkal ticket. Here is all the information about the Tatkal Ticket and the procedure to book Tatkal Ticket via IRCTC Portal.
- Tatkal Ticket booking hours start at 10:00 AM for the AC Class and for the Non-AC class the Tatkal tickets can be booked after 11:00 AM Only. In addition to this, the ticket booking windows are till 12:00 Hours.
- Tatkal Ticket is a premium ticket and hence there are additional charges on booking Tatkal ticket. This can vary from Rs 10 to Rs 500. The charges are high so as to prevent the misuse of the facility.
- The Tatkal ticket can only be booked a day before the journey. There are chances that you might not get the ticket and hence you must prepare yourself well before the ticket booking time in order to avoid any inconvenience.
- If you Tatkal ticket was confirmed then you would not be refunded in case of the cancellation. This is only for the confirmed Tatkal ticket. If the Tatkal ticket was in waitlist then the amount will be refunded to you.
This was all about the rules pertaining to Tatkal Ticket. Now let us move to the procedure of booking the Tatkal ticket.
Steps to book a Tatkal Ticket via IRCTC Next Gen Portal
- Navigate to the IRCTC Portal and if you do not know the web address for the portal, then you can navigate to irctc.co.in
- Login to the portal with help of the login button on the top. Use your registered login ID and Password to login. If you have not registered before then you need to register to the portal.
- Now, enter the source and destination in the fields given. Also, select the dates and click on Find Train Button. This will now display the list of trains on the next page.
- Check the availability status of the train in general quota. If there are no seats available then navigate to the top of the page and on the right corner of the page, you will find a drop-down menu to select the quota.
- Select Tatkal from the quota and check the availability. If there is no availability in Tatkal then you may also choose to select Premium Tatkal. Check the availability once you have selected the relevant quota.
- Click on Book Now Button below the train and you will be taken to a next page where you can enter the passenger details. Enter the passenger details along with other details
- Enter the captcha code on the page and then click on continue booking. You will be asked to review the booking details. Check all the details and click on Continue Booking Button. You will now be taken to the payment page.
- Select the relevant payment method and make the payment of the amount requested. Once the payment is made, the ticket will be booked and confirmed for you. This is quite an easy process to follow and you will receive the ticket via SMS. In addition to this, the ticket will also be displayed on your screen. You can use the Mobile SMS during the journey.
These were the rules and the steps to book a Tatkal Ticket. You must check the ticket in the general category before moving on to Tatkal Ticket as there are times when the ticket for the general quota is available even before the travel date. Apart from this, you can also refer to CNF Probability if you are not sure about the chances of ticket getting confirmed in future.