Brief Introduction about IRCTC
Indian Railways is one of the largest railway networks in the world. It was earlier not possible to book the tickets online and one had to stand in long queues for booking the ticket. This was changed with the launch of IRCTC Portal in the early 2000s. The portal made it possible for the people to book and cancel the ticket without having to visit the railway counter.
It was a major milestone for Indian Railways and by 2013, over 5 Lakh tickets were being booked on a single day with help of the IRCTC Portal. This did come with some of the challenges as the portal was prone to crash because of the high traffic. This was not the only challenge but IRCTC dealt with the challenges and it kept on upgrading the portal. There were user enhancements in the portal and there were also under the hood changes which was more about increasing the server capacities to handle such a high traffic.
With the evolution and upgradation, IRCTC has set a landmark. Now they have come with another version or update called as IRCTC Next Generation. Below is a short introduction about the IRCTC Next Generation Portal which is also known as the portal of future. We have also compiled a complete guide which you can share with your friends and families to get familiar with IRCTC Next Generation Portal.
IRCTC Next Generation
IRCTC Next Generation New Website is a landmark in technology and as mentioned earlier, there are not just user-interface changes that went into the website. The changes are also at the code level which is mostly considered as under-the-hood changes. These changes have optimized the website and had made it less prone to failures. There are certainly going to be some exceptions but there is a better exception handling procedure.
IRCTC Next Generation New Version is a highly intuitive website and it has combined the functionality of multiple websites. It was earlier restricted to multiple websites and you had to visit the different website to check the PNR status and the railways status. As of now, all this has been encapsulated in a single web interface which is now popularly known as IRCTC Next Generation Portal.
There are also many changes to the procedures bought in with this new portal and this majorly includes the changes to the login page. Earlier, you had to login to the portal to get any type of details including the ticket availability but now, you do not have to login to check the availability status. IRCTC Next Generation Login New Page can now be accessed by clicking on the Login Button at top of the page.
Similarly, there are many other changes and we have compiled a complete guide for you so as to ensure that you are able to use IRCTC Next Generation New Website to its full capabilities.
The services include under IRCTC Next Generation are as follows:
- Stay facility
- Cab facility
- E catering facility
- Charter Train services
- Hill Railways facilities
- Different holiday packages
It includes both domestic and international services with an affordable convenience fare. IRCTC Next Generation provides individual login and agents’ login as well.
We follow certain steps while booking a ticket is it for airline, railways or any other constraint.
What are common problems of end users while booking a ticket?
The problems cannot be avoided, it is part and parcel of life, similarly while booking tickets we face a number of problems related to the domain which are listed below.
- Have you ever imagined you are staying far away from your hometown; you want to go for Diwali or Holi vacation, but no tickets available. If the tickets are available the price is above the sky. Or the reservation is full.
- We want to attend a function or any ceremony but the flight lands ata different time or train is scheduled for any other time.
- Sometimes the trains or any other mode of travelling is delayed, but we understand after waiting for so long in the station
- Often we are unable to track our PNR status.
- No advance reservation before a certain period of time.
- We think twice or thrice before making any transaction, thinking what if the funds are not refundable.
- There is no single screen operation, it always redirect us to different pages, as a result, we end up with opening different tabs on our desktop or PC.
- We don’t receive OTP. In short, no notification received.
- The confirmation is not shared to the registered mail id or number.
- Sometimes balance is deducted from the account, but tickets are not confirmed.
- If we press the back button, we need to fill in all the details from the first step.
- Yes, most importantly the website gets crashed.
- The local vendors or agents charge more while booking tickets and short notice.
The list doesn’t come to an end so we rely upon various other apps for booking confirmation. But the problems come to an end with this new portal.
An overview of IRCTC next generation:
- Login for Individual/agents-The person willing to travel or fly from one destination to another destination for a purpose like office tours, family vacation, solo trip etc needs to register on IRCTC Next Generation website.
- If you are an existing member you can login through your username or user id, in case you forgot your password, you can request for OTP option and login. There is no Hassel of once again changing the password and remembering it.
- If you are a new member you can click on the register icon and fill all the required details, which are not many but a simple format. The page contains a notification if a person who has created an account just for fun or any spam; it will automatically deactivate the profile without any notification.
Sometimes we make our headbang on regenerating and retyping the Captcha image. This burden has been lessening with the new IRCTC next-generation portal. It also provides and welcomes different vendors for participating in agent’s login.
- Change in language and Fonts– If you are a person who is more comfortable in Hindi as reading can translate the page into the Hindi language without the help of Google translator and can adjust the fonts according to your eyesight.
- The Homepage– The homepage of IRCTC has transferred from the navy blue colour to a colourful page which provides a pop –up notification stating to book tickets.
Different icons present in the homepage and changes made by IRCTC are as follows:
- Trains– On clicking on the Trains icon of IRCTC homepage, It will show –up different options like
- Book Ticket
- Tourist Booking
- Cancel Ticket
- PNR Enquiry
- Train Schedule
- Track your train
Book Ticket -On clicking on Book Ticket option, it will ask about your current destination and desired destination. The class you want to opt for like second sitting, sleeper, different AC Tiers, AC first class-1A, Exec. Chair car (EC),AC 2 Tier 2A,First Class(FC),AC 3 Tier(3A),Economy, chair ca , Anubhuti class(EA),AC 3 Economy 3E,AC chair car (CC), Sleeper (SL), Second Sitting (2S).
IRCTC has made the maximum available trains for any destination with multiple flexible times.You can also avail the option of flexible dates along with new facility called as DIVYAANG: which was earlier addressed for a Handicapped person.
Tourist Booking- Tourist booking gives you an option of foreign location as well along with the selection of quota system.
Cancellation of Tickets– The tickets cancellation can be of two types: Counter Ticket cancellation or E-ticket/ I- ticket. The counter ticket refers to the ticket generated from the ticket desk, whereas E-ticket basically refers to electronic ticket, which can be downloaded and showcase without printing the same. I-ticket is delivered to the passenger’s required address. IRCTC Next Generation provides cancellation of three types of the ticket through the portal, you simply need to login and enter the required details. Please read carefully the refund charges.
PNR Enquiry or PNR status– Passenger current status can be known by entering the PNR(Passenger Name Record) number which is mentioned at the top (left) corner of the ticket, be it a counter ticket or E-ticket or I- ticket. It provides the passengers or on borders with the information regarding the travel or journey purpose. It is a 10(ten)-digit number. It also includes services like Mobile ticketing services, Registration of train or full traffic rate, availability at Major Station, reserved train schedule, National Train Enquiry system, SMS service, Train Berth Availability.
Mobile Ticketing Services– The (un-reserved) ticketing system through mobile phones was started long back in the year 2014. It was first enabled for Mumbai location, now the app is available for both Mumbai & Chennai location. It is classified into two types: Paper ticket & Paperless ticket.
Paper Ticket – The onboarder after booking the ticket will receive a booking Id and booking details, the passenger can enter the details at ATVM (Automatic Ticket Vending Machine) and can take a print out of it.
Paperless Ticket– Paperless tickets can be downloaded directly from the app. There is no hardcopy required for travelling purpose. The passenger can directly showcase in the mobile itself while travelling.
Registration of Train or Full traffic Rate- There are certain rules and regulation for doing registration of Train or to understand the full traffic Rate:
1. Pilot for WR: The Online booking of FTR is on a basis related to pilot and booking is currently permissible for the journey or the routes whose destination starts from Western Railway.
2. The Process of Booking:Full Traffic Rate, registration can be made on IRCTC Next Generation website-ftr.irctc.co.in or portal or on the ticket counter of the respective station from where the journey starts.
3. The period of booking: The registration of Full Traffic Rate can be done before a maximum 6 months and a minimum of at least 30(Thirty) days with respect to the date of journey
4. The process for payment of realization: It has two processes to be followed like:
1. The process of registration on IRCTC website or portal:
The concerned person will provide the details of booking type, their journey details related to coaches, and their routes. After processing of the request, the person will get a reference number and registration amount that is to be paid.
The concerned person has to pay the registration amount against provided reference number to get FTR (Full Traffic Number) number. The Payment of the required amount is to be received within 6 days which includes the same day on which FTR request is submitted. After 6 days of time, if the Reference Number related to the FTR has some issue the person needs to follow the above-mentioned steps once again for booking an FTR coach or train.
2. Registrations related to UTS counter: The concerned person will go and click on the icon of CBS (Chief Booking Supervisor)/Station Master (SM) related to the journey of the required station and needs to submit a written request containing the details of the journey with respect to FTR(Full Traffic Rate) booking. The CBS (Chief Booking Supervisor) will fill the required given details in the FTR system.
The CBS will provide a system generated slip or computerized slip to the person. This computer-generated slip/ receipt will contain the reference number and the amount that is payable by the person. Then after the person will go to UTS counter and will deposit the registration money related to the reference number. After the confirmation of the payment, a printed slip/ money receipt will be provided to a person with FTR(Full Traffic Rate) number printed on it. The person will again to CBS with this FTR number. At CBS counter, the person can request for a printout and can get a printout by giving the desired FTR number.
3. The process of Refund: If the cancellation is done by the passenger or done by the railway department for some or other factors, the refund process will be done as per required existing manual pattern through (Chief) Commercial Manager.
4. The number of permissible coaches: There are two types of coach constraint like Coach Booking in which any of the party can book or occupy maximum 10 numbers of seats on FTR for one tour as per the train’s journey.
5. Train Booking: In train booking a person can book maximum 24 numbers of coaches in full traffic Rate of the train which includes2 SLR. 2 SLR coaches that is mandatory or compulsory
6. The Registration Amount:
6.1 The registration amount for Coach Booking: The Registration amount for booking a coach lasts up to 7 days of a train journey that is Rs.50, 000/- per coach. The journey period exceeding more than 7 days an additional amount of Rs.10, 000/- per day/per coach is to be paid and is added in registration amount.
6.2 The registration amount for Train Booking: Registration amount for booking of a train, the minimum amount for 18 coaches which includes minimum two SLR coaches and for 7 days of the journey the amount payable is Rs.900,000/-. The journey period exceeding 18 passenger coaches, an additional amount of Rs.50, 000/- per coach will be included in the registration amount. The tour journey exceeding more than 7 days, an additional amount of Rs.10, 000/- per coach will be included in the registration amount. Even for booking a train with less than 18 number of coaches, registration amount for 18 coaches minimum amount will be charged or will be included in the registration amount.
The above amount changes as per the revision made by the Ministry of Railways from time to time. Or of may be because of new amendments of the Railway Act.
7. The Registration of coaches/ trains beforehand doesn’t make a confirmation of the surplus of coaches in the trains. This may vary according to the availability of the coaches.
- The option of knowing the train Schedule- The new IRCTC Next Generation page provides an option of knowing the train schedules, it provides the arrival lists of the train, name of different stops along with what time the train will stop at a stoppage. It provides the distance between two major stations, what are the classes with respect to accommodation, number of pantries available etc. You need to enter only the train number.
In short, you can get the full summary at one click or one touch.
Like metro, IRCTC Next Generation also invites different vendors to display their ad media, which will be published (either in English or Hindi) PAN India.
- Tracking the train-Nowadays when we order food via online, we track where the delivery man has reached, whether he has picked up the order or not. Likewise, we can track our train, where the train has reached. If the train is delayed because of Fog we can know the situation at our place. We can locate the live stations as well. If the train is cancelled rescheduled, diverted or cancelled, it will automatically send you SMS alert or notification.
On clicking the tracking the train icon IRCTC will redirect to a page which will provide an option like:
- Spot your train- By entering the train name, you can identify and track where exactly the train is.
- Live Station- You can enter the station name to get the trains; it also provides an option to modify the hours of time. You do can also select the train types like All express, All passenger,DMU, Duronto, EMU, Garib Rath, Holiday Spl, Janshatabdi, Luxury, MEMU, Mail Express.
- Train via Stations- It provides an option for the passengers to understand the train will pass from which stations, whether there desired station is present in the list or not and it includes trains of all types like All express, All passenger, DMU, Duronto, EMU, Garib Rath, Holiday Spl, Janshatabdi, Luxury, MEMU, Mail Express.
- Train Schedule- IRCTC Next Generation provides an option for knowing the train schedule, you need to enter details like train number or train date. It will redirect to a page which shows days of availability,the validity of train schedule and also shows the list of stations, schedule date,scheduledarrival,scheduled departure and the distance that will be covered.
- Trains Cancelled- It will showcase both the trains which are fully cancelled and which are partially cancelled, you can search the train number along with the start date. Fully cancelled trains are those which will not run from the source destination whereas partially cancelled trains are those which are not running as for the scheduled route. It may affect due to various reasons. Partially cancelled trains will show the status of train cancelled from which route to which route.At a single click, it will show down the list of cancelled trains.
There are different customized trains as well like:
- Special Trains
- Fog Affected Trains
- Heritage Trains
- Special Trains-IRCTC Next Generation provides special trains at different routes you just need to enter the train number.
- Fog Affected Trains-The train scheduled or route train needs to come run may be affected due to fog; this is showcase at single click at IRCTC new portal.
- Heritage Trains-There are different types of train available for various heritage station, you need to verify it with your boarding station number or deboarding station number to know the status of Heritage trains.
- Rescheduled of Trains- If the trains are rescheduled, you will get alert or notification or else you can visit the IRCTC next generation portal and click on the rescheduled option you will get the complete list of rescheduled trains. It shows the train type,source, and destination, rescheduled by and rescheduled time.
- Diverted Trains- If the trains are diverted, you will get alert or notification or else you can visit the IRCTC next generation portal and click on the rescheduled option you will get the complete list of rescheduled trains. It shows the train type, source, and destination, diverted by and diverted time.
- IR Train Tracker- With the evolution of technology, IRCTC has come up with a train on the map. You need to type the source destination or filled the required field and you can see the live movement of the train. This is done with the help of a GPS tracker or geo-fencing module or with the help of a navigation You can always filter your searches.
- Average Delay- If we calculate the average delay of the train for a stoppage it may last of maximum 7 (seven)
- Planning for Vacation- If you are planning for a small trip, you don’t need to visit different websites, one for booking transportation tickets, one for looking into holiday packages etc. Now you can get every gamut at one place. On clicking on ‘’holiday’’ icon, you will see an option for special trains which will direct you to choose either a tourist train or Maharaja Express.
The sublist can help you with tour packages as well both for national and international tours with the cheapest price.
IRCTC Next Generation also provides accommodation facilities. So basically starting from booking to the accommodation you can rely on IRCTC.
- Booking Flights- Booking flights have become easier with the help of IRCTC. Most of the people crave to travel in flight, but can’t afford due to some inconvenience. IRCTC being registered under Government of India, charge lower fare comparing the other sites.
- Introducing Loyalty points- No one would have imagined being a government site IRCTC will bring out exciting offers like loyalty rewards. They have come up with IRCTC SBI card which provides certain rewards. It has also introduced SBI platinum card and Rupay cards.
The Government as introduced lucky draw scheme for the person who has booked their tickets with proper Aadhar Enrolment number and has completed their KYC (Know your customer).
- Meals- IRCTC Next Generation does provide meal facility to their passengers, with a varied menu and affordable rates. There is a myth train meals are not ready to eat, not hygienic. But IRCTC has broken all the customs and brings a stomachsatisfying meal for its passengers or the on-boarders. The meals can be ordered by the e-catering system as well, which deliver the food at your berth. They have approximately 400 restaurant partners with whom they have a tie up.
- Availability of different Services at Station- We have heard about different services at the station, but have never used it, because we all have a mindset there are no such services, it is just a saying. The station you have chosen, through IRCTC Next Generation portal provides Wi-Fi to all the passengers, the passenger who are waiting for the train, or the person who has come to bid a good-bye to a near and dear one or the person who has come to receive a special person or any relative. IRCTC provides internet connectivity to all with a strong web interface, with the latest use of technology so that the net speed doesn’t slow down.
- An option for battery operated cars- Waiting time becomes too long for any passenger who has been waiting for a taxi, auto or any other transportation service, can opt for a battery-operated car provided by Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation on a paid system. But unfortunately, now it is only being available at Mumbai, it will soon cover all other cities.
- E- Bedroll- We option gets hesitated to sleep in the selected berths because of the untidy bedroll. Making the things more appropriate and convenient for the passengers, the passenger can choose the bedroll according to the colour of their choice etc.beforehand.lo
- E- WheelChair- It is very difficult to make a differently able person travel when the destination is far away. IRCTC Next Generation gives you an option of booking a wheelchair beforehand rather than searching for a wheelchair after reaching the station. The option is also available for senior citizens. With one PNR number, one wheelchair can be booked.
- IRCTC offering for booking a cab through the portal- We often book Ola cabs forms the Ola app, we enter all the details, call the driver: start explaining to him the destination. Lots and lots of work to do. The next generation IRCTC portal just need our current location and will manage everything, called as booking a cab.
- IRCTC Tourism facility– It provides a retiring room. IRCTC has well-equipped retiring room for the person who has travelled or had a hectic journey or waiting for someone, with the required
- E-wallet– Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation has come up with e-wallet facility, which is linked with the certified payment gateway. Different features of an e-walletare listed below:
- Authentication: IRCTC eWallet users willhave to link their PAN number with the wallet.
- Security: It provides a unique user id and password for each user.
- Transaction Details: It provides all round transaction history and cash back received history.
- Refund with ease: IRCTC Next Generation provides an easy
Therefore it is easy, you are not required to depend on only a particular bank.
Procedures and Steps for Various Activities
We have already read a lot about the different features and the tasks that you can perform with the IRCTC Next Gen Portal but knowing these feature may not just be enough. You must know how to perform these tasks so as to book the ticket, book a meal and activate e-wallet without any trouble. In this section of the page, we are going to share the procedures and steps with you for different tasks that you can accomplish with help of the IRCTC Next Gen Portal. So, here we go.
Making a New Account on IRCTC Next Gen Portal
Going by the FAQs on most of the portal, we realized that there are many people who face trouble in signing up for IRCTC. There are certain pre-requisites for signing up on the IRCTC Next Generation Portal. So, if you wish to create your account on IRCTC then you need to have a mobile number which has never been used to create an ID on IRCTC Website and you also need to have an email ID Which is not used on IRCTC.If you have already registered on the IRCTC in the past then you do not have to create a new ID and you can simply go ahead and use the same old IRCTC Login ID. If you do not remember the password then do not worry as you can reset the password in less than 2 minutes. This will save you from the trouble of creating a new account on the portal. Also, you should know that all the old accounts on the Old Portal have been migrated to the new portal and hence there is no need to create any new ID if you already had one. If you have never registered on IRCTC then here is how you create an account.
- Visit the IRCTC Portal (https://www.irctc.co.in/nget/)and click on the register button. The button for making the new account is listed at the top of the page. Choosing the option will take you to the registration page where you can proceed by entering the details.
- You will have to create a User ID and Password over here and you will also have to enter some of the basic and personal details about yourself. It is mandatory to choose a unique username which is available and at the same time, enter your mobile number and the email ID here.
- After entering the details, check on the box which states that you have read the terms and conditions. Also, enter the captcha code displayed in the page to make a new account.
- In the last step, you need to login to the IRCTC portal and you need to validate your Mobile Number and the Email Address with OTP. It should be noted that there are going to be two different OTP for the validation and you need to validate your email ID as well as the password to be able to book the ticket.
This was all about the process of registering a new account on the IRCTC. The process has been simplified when compared to the previous process and if you wish to use IRCTC Rail Connect App then you can follow the same process flow to create an account on your mobile app.
Steps to Login to IRCTC Next Gen Portal
You can avail many services without logging into your IRCTC Account but there are many other services which can be taken only after logging in to your IRCTC Account. For example, you can only book a ticket after logging in to your IRCTC Account. You need to login to even cancel the ticket or to book a trip. If you are not able to find the way to login to your IRCTC Account then you must look out below to Login to your IRCTC Account
- Visit the IRCTC Next Generation Portal at irctc.co.in and you will be directed to the homepage of the portal.
- On top of the page, you will notice a Login Button. It is available in Orange Font. Click on the button and a window will appear on the same page.
- Enter your IRCTC Login Credentials in the given area and type in the Captcha Code. You can alternatively request an OTP as well.
- Click on Sign In button after entering all the details and you will be logged in to your account. Once you are logged in, you will notice that the Login Button on top of the page has been replaced with your name.
This is the process to login to the IRCTC Next Gen Portal and if you do not remember your password then you can reset it with help of Forgot Password Tool available on the login window. Do not enter the wrong password multiple times as this can block your account.
Check Train between Stations Via IRCTCNextGen
While planning a journey, the first thing to do is to check the trains between the stations. There are local stations in every city which might be near to your source or destination and hence you might want to check for the stoppage of the train on that particular station. If the train exists then it is well and good to go ahead with the journey plan but if you do not find a train between those two stations then you might want to consider any alternative stations for boarding or de-boarding the train. Here are the steps to check the train between particular stations.
- To begin the search, visit the IRCTC Portal. It is very easy to check the train status between different stations. There is no need to login for the same and hence you can proceed to the next step.
- In this step, you need to check the section for Book Your Ticket and here, enter the details of the stations for your journey. Once that is done, enter the estimated date and check the box for Flexible with Dates.
- Click on the Find Trains Button just below the section and this will take you to a new page with the results for the trains between those two stations. There arecases when the page might display an error stating that there are no trains between the stations. In such a case, you must look for an alternative station in the same city.
This is how to check the train between two stations on the New IRCTC Portal. Once you have the information on the train, you can go ahead and book the tickets. There is another option for you if you do not find the train between those stations. You can travel to the desired station via a local passenger train after getting down at your destination. That will prove to be cheaper as compared to booking a cab or other source of transportation.
Train Schedule on IRCTC Next Generation Website
You have learned to check the train between two stations but there are times when you might want to check the train schedule as the trains may not run daily. In addition to this, the only thing that you need to check the train schedule is the train number. You can get the train number from the IRCTC website easily by just running a search between those two stations. Once you have the train number, you can check the train schedule with help of the steps listed below.
- Once again, to check the schedule of any train, visit the IRCTC Next Gen Portal. You already have the link to the portal and if you do not know the link of the portal then you can visit the portal at https://www.irctc.co.in/nget/
- On this portal, hover your mouse over the option for Trains from the top menu bar and a drop-down menu will be displayed. From this drop-down menu, select Train Schedule. This menu option will take you to a new page where you can check the train schedule easily.
- Now, you have the train number so enter the train number in the designated area to proceed. Once you have entered the train number, click on submit button.
The train schedule will now be displayed and the information displayed would include Train Name, From Station, Destination Station and Runs on Source From. The days highlighted in red are the days when the train do not run whereas the days highlighted in the green are the days when the train run. You can plan your journey accordingly and just below this information, you have the information of the stops of the train along with the halt time in minutes and the distance from the source station.
This way, you can not only check the schedule of the train but you can also check the route of the train.
Check the Train Running Status via IRCTC Next Generation website
Checking the running status of the train is quite simple. You won’t have to log in to the portal for the same and it just takes a couple of seconds to check the train running status on the IRCTC Next Gen Portal. Follow the steps listed below to check the train running status but before you move on to the process, you must know that you need to have the train number to check the train running status.
- Just like other processes, you need to visit the IRCTC Portal to check the train running status as well. You can navigate to https://www.irctc.co.in/nget/ to get the information.
- Once you are on the homepage, take your mouse to Trains in the top menu bar and a drop-down menu will appear.
- Select track your train from the drop-down menu and you will be redirected to National Train Enquiry System. You can visit the portal directly by clicking here
- Enter your train number in the designated area on the page. You can also enter your train name if you do not have the train number. Select the train from the list and you will get the train running status on your screen.
This was the process to check the train running status with help of National Train Enquiry System and if you do not have the access to the internet then it is recommended to call 139 to get the information about the train.
Check the Live Status of the Train via IRCTC Next Gen Portal
There are times when the trains are delayed and this is especially during the winter season. In such a case, there is no point to go to the railway station earlier as waiting for the train can be frustrating. You can always check the live train running status of any train with help of IRCTC portal and this way, you would not really have to wait for the train at the railway station as you will be able to plan your travel in a better way. Here is the process to check the live train status.
- You can use IRCTC portal to visit the National Train Enquiry system or you can visit the portal directly with help of the link https://enquiry.indianrail.gov.in/ntes/index.html. If you want to visit the link from IRCTC portal then you need to go to the IRCTC Portal and once you are on IRCTC portal then you need to click on Trains and select Track Your Train from the menu.
- On this new page, enter your train number and this will automatically display the list of stations on the route of the train along with Arrival and Departure Time.
- Select the station on which you wish to check the train status and a calendar will appear. Select your date of journey and the page will display the Current Position of the train as well as the expected arrival time for the station that you selected.
Additionally, if you wish to get more details about the live status of the train then click on View Full Running Status Button on the same page and the information will be displayed right in front of you.
Check Seat Availability without Logging in to IRCTC Next Gen Website
How to Check Seat Availability without Logging in to IRCTC Next Gen Website?
Earlier, it was not possible to check the seat availability on IRCTC without logging in to the IRCTC portal and this was one of the main reason for the unhappiness among the IRCTC users. IRCTC seems to have taken the feedback seriously and as mentioned earlier, it is now possible to check the seat availability without logging in to the IRCTC Next Gen Portal. Do you know how to check the seat availability without logging in? Well, here is how you can do it.
- Visit the IRCTC Portal and do not log in to the portal as you are now going to check the seat availability. However, if you wish to book the ticket after checking the availability then you can login before checking the availability or you may even choose to login later.
- On the homepage, enter the To & From the station in the Book Your Journey tab. Also, enter the date of journey and the class that you wish to travel in. After entering all the details click on Find Train Button in the same section.
- You will be on a new page where the list of trains between the two stations will be listed. From this list, select the train that you wish to travel in and click on Check Availability Button.
- The availability status of the train will be displayed just below the train and it will be displayed with the price and the date of journey. You can change the quota to Tatkal, Premium Tatkal, Ladies or any other quota to check the availability under the same train.
What you must know over here is that there is a new feature to check the CNF Probability. This is nothing but the probability of the train ticket getting confirmed. You can only check CNF Probability if the tickets are in waiting list. The button to check CNF Probability appears just below the ticket availability status and it is certainly easy to check the same. This can help you in making the decision about the journey and the train. If the probability is low then you can choose to book another train or you can also opt for Tatkal Ticket in such a case.
Booking Ticket in General Quota via IRCTC Next Gen Portal
It has become easier to book tickets with IRCTC next gen portal but if you wish to know the process once again then here is the process for you. It is always better to check the process if you are in doubt so as to avoid any potential financial loss.
- Visit and login to the IRCTC portal using your IRCTC Login Username and Password. This is the first step of the process. You can choose to login to the portal in the later stages but you will have to login to book the ticket. So, it is better to log in right now.
- After logging in, enter the stations that you wish to travel in. Also, enter the date and select the relevant options available to you. Click on Find Trains Button after this and you will be able to check out the list of trains available between those two stations.
- Once you have shortlisted the train, simply check the availability of the train. If the train is on the waitlist then you can also check the CNF Probability to a make a decision about booking the tickets.
- If you wish to book the tickets then you can go ahead and click on Book Now. This will now take you to a new page where you can enter the passenger details. You can also choose passengers from the contact card if you have already saved the contact cards.
- Review the details of the train journey and the passengers before moving ahead with the payment and once that is all done, simply make the payment for the ticket amount using the preferred mode of payment.
- The ticket will be displayed on your screen once the payment is successful and the portal will also push a message on your phone with ticket details.
If by any chance, the payment was not successful then do not worry as the amount will be refunded back to you with a week’s time? You can simply check the ticket history and if the ticket was not booked then you can go ahead and rebook the ticket.
Booking a Ticket in Tatkal Quota on IRCTC Next Generation
There are many people who face trouble while booking the tickets via IRCTC Portal. The portal has been made really user-friendly but it is always better to know the process flow before you start booking the ticket.We have already listed the process to check the availability of the tickets above and hence we are not going to repeat that. You can refer to the process to check the availability of the train to start booking the ticket. Once you have shortlisted the train and once you have selected the quota that you wish to book a ticket on, you can follow the process in continuation of what you have already done.
- If you have not already logged in to the IRCTC Portal then you must go ahead and login to the portal. If you have already logged in to the portal then you can skip this step and move on to the next step.
- Just below the availability status, you will notice a button for booking the Ticket. You need to click on this button to start booking the ticket. As soon as you click here, the page will be redirected and you will be landed on to the booking page.
- On this page, you can enter the passenger details along with the preferences for the meals and the berth. In case of the seating class, you can choose if you want the window seat or not.
- Review the journey details and the passenger details which are displayed on the next page. Ensure that the spelling of the passenger name is correct and then proceed to the payment page.
- You can choose the convenient method to book the ticket and you can use your net banking, e-wallet, credit card or debit card to make the payment. If you have already registered for IRCTC e-wallet and if you have a balance available in the e-wallet then you can also use that.
- Validate the payment by completing the process and the ticket will be booking. The PNR will be shared on your mobile number along with the journey date and the best part is that you can use the Mobile SMS as your ticket. This way, you can save on taking a printout and you do your part in saving the environment.lig
Once the ticket is booked, check the status of the ticket along with all the details of the journey. Ensure that you have checked the date of the journey along with the time of the journey.
How to check PNR Status via IRCTC Next Generation Portal?
If you do not book your train journey weeks or months before then there are good chances that you might end up booking a ticket in Wait List. In such a case, you might want to check from time to time about the confirmation status. This is important because you can’t travel on a ticket that is on the waitlist as the ticket is auto-cancelled and technically you will end up travelling without a ticket if you do so. Many people browse through different third-party websites to check the PNR status which is something not recommended as you share the details of your travel on a third-party website.
There are two ways to check PNR status and one of these methods includes checking the PNR Status via SMS while the other method includes checking the PNR through the web portal. Here is how you can do it.
- Checking PNR via SMS: To check the PNR status with help of the message, you need to send a message on 5676747 and the content of the message should be PNR <PNR Number>. Once the message is delivered, you will receive a reply for the IRCTC with the status of your PNR Number.
- Checking PNR via IRCTC: This is the second process to check the PNR status and to check the PNR via SMS, you need to go to IRCTC Portal. On the portal, hover your mouse over Trains and then click on PNR Status. You will be taken to a new page where you can actually enter your PNR Number. Enter your PNR Number and click on Get Status button to check the status of the PNR in realtime. It is certainly an easy and simple process to follow and it is always better to check the PNR Status so as to ensure that you do not need an alternative train or plan. Visit here to check pnr status online: https://www.irctc.co.in/nget/pnr-enquiry
These are two ways to check the PNR status. In most of the cases, if your ticket has been confirmed, the details of the coach and seat will be displayed along with the PNR Status. However, in some of the cases, the seat number might go missing and in such a case, you need to wait for the charts to be prepared and you will have to check the seat number on the charts that are pasted on the train.
Checking Menu Price on IRCTC Next Generation Portal
There had been a lot of controversies in past related to the Menu price and it was reported that IRCTC staff had been overcharging the passengers. They never displayed the menu and hence the passengers were never aware of the menu prices. To deal with this, IRCTC added the Menu Prices in the new IRCTC portal. The advantage of this is that the train staff can’t over-charge any passenger. To check the IRCTC Menu Price, follow the process listed below
- Visit the IRCTC Next Gen Portal and click on Meals. From the drop-down menu select Standard Menu Rates. This will take you to the new page where you will be able to check the Menu Price.
- On this new page, select the type of train you are travelling in and the menu price will now be displayed on your screen along with the available options, or you can use this page: https://www.ecatering.irctc.co.in/
In trains like Rajdhani and Shatabdi, the food is provided free of cost as the price of the food services are already included in the ticket price.
Booking a Meal for Train Journey
If you hate to have the meals served on the train then you also have an option to book a meal on the train. Imagine having a hot meal from Haldiram or having cheesy pizza from Dominos while travelling bytrain. Isn’t this sounds like a dream? Well, you can book a meal for yourself and it is quite easy. Here is how to book a meal for yourself.
- To book a meal, you need to visit the IRCTC portal and on this portal, you need to provide some of the information so as to get the meal delivered on your seat.
- On the homepage, select Meals and then click on e-catering. This will take you to a new page and on this page, you need to enter your PNR to proceed.
- Select the station that you want to book the meal for. Once you select the station, you will be able to see a list of available restaurants and now, comes the difficult part. The difficult part is to make a choice between the amazing restaurants listed on the portal.
- Select a restaurant and you will be able to see the menu available. Make a choice and you can also choose to make a payment for the meal. Once done, the order is confirmed.
Your meal will be delivered to your seat on the date of journey. There are many restaurants that support cash on delivery and if you are not confident about the process then you can also choose COD for your meal.
Checking the List of Cancelled Train on New IRCTC Next Generation website
We have mentioned above about the cancellation of the train. Nature plays a pivotal role in this case and there is always a possibility of the train cancellation in case of fog or rain. IRCTC always informs the passengers about the cancellation and IRCTC also refunds the money but what do you do if you are travelling on a general ticket. In that case, IRCTC would not be able to communicate with you as they do not have your details in the database. In this case, you need to do your part by checking the list of cancelled trains.
As mentioned earlier, the new portal lets you check the list of the cancelled trains and the information includes the list of cancelled passenger trains as well. This can help you in case of emergency or a natural calamity and here is how you check the list of cancelled trains.
- Visit the National Train Enquiry System Website to check the list of the cancelled trains. The link to the portal is https://enquiry.indianrail.gov.in
- You will notice a lot of options on this page and you need to click on Trains Cancelled Button in the menu bar to check the list of trains that have been cancelled. The link is easy to find.
- This new page displays the list of cancelled trains and it includes all the passenger train list as well. You may want to filter out the results with help of the train number as it becomes easy to track the train in this way.
If your train is present in the list then you might want to book another ticket whereas if you are lucky and if your train is not present in the list then you can continue with your journey with Indian Railways.
How to Cancel Train Tickets via New Next Gen IRCTC?
Cancelling the Train Tickets via New IRCTC Next Generation portal (i-Tickets and e-Tickets)
If there is a need to cancel the train ticket then that is also quite simple. You can do so with help of the IRCTC portal and we have listed the process to cancel the train ticket below.
- General step to cancel the IRCTC Train Ticket is to visit the IRCTC Next Gen Portal and logging in to the IRCTC Account.
- Once you login, click on Trains Option from the top menu bar and select Cancel Trains. Now, select I-Tickets / E-Tickets from the list.
- Now, select the ticket that you wish to cancel and ensure that you are selecting the right ticket. Click on the Cancel button after making the selection and verify the details once again. Click on the Cancel button one again and the ticket will be cancelled. The refund amount will be displayed on the screen and the refund will be processed in 3 to 7 days. It should be noted that there is no refund for confirmed Tatkal tickets.
It should be noted that you can only cancel the tickets that you have booked online via this process. There is a different process to cancel the counter tickets and if you wish to cancel the counter ticket online then you must know that you would still have to visit the station to collect the refund.
Cancelling Counter Ticket with IRCTC Next Generation Portal
There are times when you end up booking a counter ticket for yourself. One basic advantage of booking the counter ticket is that you do not have to pay any sort of extra service charge but the disadvantage of this process is that you might have to stand in long queues. In a recent advancement, the IRCTC has allowed users to cancel the counter train tickets via IRCTC website and the process is simple.
Before you cancel the counter ticket, you must know that you would have to visit the train station of the satellite PRS Location to collect your refund. It is not credited into the account of the user. Now, you can follow the process listed below to cancel the counter ticket.
- Navigate to the IRCTC portal and hover your mouse over More Button. You will see a drop-down menu and you need to click on Cancel Counter Ticket. You will be redirected to a new page wherein you will have to provide the ticket details.
- You will have to enter the PNR Number along with the train number and the image captcha code to start the process of cancellation. Once you enter the details, you will receive an OTP on the mobile number that you shared with the IRCTC while booking the ticket.
- Validate the request by entering the OTP in the given space and click on the cancel ticket button. Once that is done, the ticket refund amount will be displayed on the screen and you will also receive a text message informing you the same.
This was the process to cancel the counter tickets. If you wish to cancel the i-tickets then you can loginto your IRCTC portal and cancel the ticket directly from there. In case of i-tickets, the refund is processed and credited back to your account or credit card. This depends on the method that you used to make the payment.
How to Book Flight with New IRCTC Website?
Booking a Flight with New IRCTC Next Generation Website
We have mentioned earlier that the new portal gives you the freedom to book the air tickets and if you wish to book the air tickets via IRCTC Portal then you can follow the process listed below.
- You can visit the IRCTC Portal and then click on Flights from the Top Menu Option to be redirected to the portal for booking the air tickets.
- On this new page, you need to search for the flights and hence enter the To and From Cities into spaceprovided. Also, enter the journey date along with the number of passengers in total. Search for the flights and the results will now be displayed on the next page.
- You can then select the flight that you wish to travel in. There are multiple filters available for you and you can choose the filter as per your preference. There are also sort options available for the user.
- After short listing the flight, click on the book button and proceed with the air ticket booking. You will have to enter the passenger details but before that, you will have to login to the portal using your IRCTC Credentials. The portal also gives you the freedom to book the tickets by continuing as a guest user.
- Once you have entered the passenger details, you can then make the payment via different digital payment methods. The ticket will be booked and displayed on your screen after the payment. Moreover, the details will also be shared on the mobile number used during the booking.
This is how you can book the air ticket via IRCTC. In addition to this, you can book hotels, domestic packages, air packages and much more with help of the new revamped IRCTC Portal.
How to Activate IRCTC e-Wallet on IRCTC Next Generation Portal?
Activating IRCTC e-Wallet on IRCTC Next Generation
You have already read about the features of IRCTC e-Wallet but do you know that you need to register for the IRCTC e-Wallet in order to use it. Yes, this is right, you can’t use IRCTC e-Wallet without registering for the same. In addition to this, there are one-time registration charges for the IRCTC e-Wallet. To register for the IRCTC e-Wallet, follow the steps listed below
- You need to login to your IRCTC Account to use the IRCTC e-Wallet facility and you also need to login to your IRCTC Account to activate your wallet. Once you have logged in, you can click on IRCTC e-Wallet from the top menu bar.
- You will notice a drop-down option as you scroll on the menu. Select e-wallet registration from the options and you will be taken to the registration page for the e-wallet. Do not worry, you do not have to enter a lot of details in over here.
- The only detail that you need to enter on the registration page is the PAN Number or the Aadhaar Number. This is enough to activate your e-wallet and it is quite quick as well.The wallet will now be activated and you can pay the one-time Registration Amount to use the wallet.
You can now save time while making the payments for tickets and it should be noted that you must have your registered mobile number while booking the tickets and you will receive a transaction code on your registered mobile number. Lastly, there is a limit on the minimum and the maximum amount that you can load on your wallet. The minimum amount that you can add is Rs 100 while the maximum amount you can add is Rs 10,000. The money is non-reversible so you must only add the amount that you plan to utilize while booking the tickets.
How to Book an Tour Package via NextGenIRCTC?
Booking a Tour Package with IRCTC Next Gen Portal
The best part about IRCTC is that it offers all travel related services. You will never have to visit your travel agent again if you start using the IRCTC portal to its full potential. This way, not only you get to book the services at a transparent price but you also save on the commission that you might have to pay to your travel agent. As you might be aware of, the IRCTC portal lets you book the tours and below is the process for the same.
- Go to the IRCTC Next Gen Website and you must login to your account before moving to the next step.
- Since you are booking a tour package, you would need to select Holidays from the top menu option and from the drop-down list, Select Packages and select Tour Packages from the menu displayed. You can also visit the page directly with help of https://www.irctctourism.com/#/tourpkgs
- On this new page, enter the details of the destination where you wish to travel and click on the Search button corresponding to the search bar. The next page will display different types of packages available for you.
- Shortlist the package as per your preferences and do check out the details of the package before you finalize the one. Once you have decided the appropriate package, you can just click on Continue and move to the next step by entering the date of journey.
- You can choose the accommodation type and once that is done, you need to enter the passenger details. In the last step, simply verify the details and make the payment of the package amount. This will confirm your tour package.
This is how you can book a package and there are many options available for you on the IRCTC website. You can choose among various packages.
How to Book an Air Package via IRCTCNextGen?
Booking an Air Package via IRCTC Next Generation Website
If you wish to travel by Air instead of train and if you want someone to book the hotels for you as well then you can choose to book a package which has air tickets included in the same. The price of such a package is very competitive and you will be surprised to check these prices. Here is how you can book a holiday air package with help of IRCTC.
- Visit the IRCTC website and then click on Holidays. From the top drop-down option, select Packages and then click on Air Packages. You will be redirected to the tourism website of Indian Railways and you can login to move ahead.
- Enter the destination in the search area and look for the various options available to You can use different filters to shortlist the package and you can also check the detailed itinerary of each package.
- After short listing, select the package and enter the date of journey to move ahead with the booking. On the next page, you need to enter the passenger details which include only the basic details.
- Review the information after entering the details and complete the payment process to confirm the package for yourself.
After making the payment, you receive confirmation via Email and you can then start preparing for your journey. Carry the booking details with you and do not forget to take your camera along to capture the memories.
How to Book International Package via IRCTC Next Generation Portal?
With IRCTC, you not only get to travel within the country but you can also travel outside the country. This is because the tourism website of Indian railways also offers you an option to book International packages. Below is the process to book international packages with IRCTC.
- Visit the IRCTC website and then click on Holidays. On the drop-down menu, select packages and then click on International Packages from this list of options displayed.
- Login with your IRCTC login details on the IRCTC tourism page and search for the various package options available for the destination.
- Check the details of the package you like and you can check the Overview, Itinerary, Inclusions as well as terms and condition while booking the package.
- Click on Book Now button after checking the details and select the tour start date. Continue to the next step by entering the passenger details.
- You will then be redirected to the payment portal and you would require to make the full payment of the package. You can also choose to get an EMI option on your credit card.
The package will be booked after the payment is done. Most of the packages include the Visa but there are some charges which do not includes Visa and hence in such cases, you will have to check the Inclusion list of the package to know about the visa.
How to Book Room/Hotel via IRCTC Tourism Website?
Booking Room/Hotel via IRCTC Tourism Website (IRCTC Next Generation)
If you are travelling somewhere via Train or Air and if you need accommodation in the city then IRCTC can help you in finding the reliable accommodation. If you wish to book a hotel then you need to follow the process listed below in order to get a room for yourself at the best price.
- Once you are on IRCTC Portal, click on Holidays and select Accommodation from the options available to you. Click on Hotels from the new Drop-Down and you will now be taken to a new page which will facilitate you in booking the hotel, Or (You can direct land Accommodation page via this link: https://hotel.irctctourism.com/hotels)
- Enter the city of the hotel name and search with help of the criteria given to you. You can choose between a hotel, lounge or retiring room and the choice helps you in short listing the accommodation.
- Click on search button after entering the hotel name/city and the date of stay. Shortlist the hotel that you wish to stay in. You may want to use filters while selecting the hotel and you can also sort the options.
- Click on Book Option after shortlisting the hotel and enter your name along with other details to book the hotel. In this final step, also make the payment so as to confirm the booking and receive acknowledgement of the hotel.
This was the process to book the hotel and the website offers you highly competitive rates. You can book any type of accommodation with help of the IRCTC Next Gen Portal and it is certainly a great advantage.
How to Make IRCTC Train Inquiry?
Now, this is something very subjective. The process of IRCTC Train Enquiry you wish to make. We will keep this answer simple for you and to make any type of train inquiry, you can simply visit the National Train Enquiry System. You can explore various options on the page as the page has all the information about the trains that you might need.
You can check about the Special Trains, Heritage Trains, Fog Affected Trains, Train Schedule, Trains between Station, Cancelled Trains, Rescheduled Trains and even Diverted Trains with help of the portal. You can visit the portal with help of the link https://enquiry.indianrail.gov.in/ntes/index.html and select the relevant information on this portal.
Contact Details for IRCTC
Never trust on third party websites as your data can be stolen when you are using some of the unsafe apps available in the market. There are also sometimes when you might need to get in touch with IRCTC and if you come across such a situation then you do not need to browse anywhere else/ Below mentioned are the details about the contact info and useful details of Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation (IRCTC): Next Generation, in case of any queries. You can save these contact details in your phone and they will certainly prove to be handy during your journey.
Customer Care No: 0755-6610661, 0755-3934141
(For Railway tickets booked through IRCTC
For Cancellation E-tickets: email@example.com
For IRCTC SBI Card users, you can directly call on the Railway SBI Card Helpline numbers. On 0124-39021212 or 18001801295 (if you are dialling from BSNL/MTNL network) or yousend your queries via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For any other queries related IRCTC SBI card account or loyalty, you can share your feedback or you can email at email@example.com
The Registered Office / Corporate Office of IRCTC is mentioned below, where you can direct your courier.
Address: The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd.,
B-148, 11th Floor, Statesman House,
Barakhamba Road, New Delhi 110001
In the above section, we have not mentioned one of the universal numbers for IRCTC and this number is 139. It is not a Toll-Free number but it is certainly easy to remember the number for you. You can always use this number when you do not remember other long numbers and it will be easy for you to get in touch with IRCTC regarding any query.
Every coin has two sides and the grass is greener on the other side. Every part and every new thing has pros and cons, advantages & disadvantages. This new change will certainly change but will take some time.
This is a new initiative taken by Government of India, for the betterment of its passenger and citizen, it provided the option of payment gateway to do the online transaction and diminish the use of black money. This portal is for the people, by the people.
At first, it may not bring traffic, there will be a number of questions in the mind of the passengers or the end user.The site may crash: because of the curiosity in the mind of the people which will make them search more and more.
Different forums may share negative feedback and will not support the portal but it’s you who need to decide which portal is suitable for you. As a matter of fact, while booking the train tickets, you need to login to your IRCTC Portal even when you are booking tickets via the third-party portal. So, why not just use the IRCTC portal to save money as well as safeguard yourself from any potential data theft. The choice is yours and only yours.
IRCTC Next Generation FAQ
Q1: Do I need to Make New Account on IRCTC Next Generation Portal?
Answer: No, all the accounts from the IRCTC Old Portal have been migrated to IRCTC Next Generation website. You can simply visit www.irctc.co.in and login to the account by clicking on Login button from the top of the page.
Q2: What if I do Not Remember my Password?
Answer: If you do not remember your password then there is nothing to worry about. You can go ahead and reset your password with help of the ‘forgot password wizard’. The process won’t take more than 5 minutes of your time.
Q3: Do I have any Benefits of Linking Aadhaar Card?
Answer: One of the best benefits of linking the Aadhaar card to IRCTC is that it increases the capping on your account for booking tickets. You can book 12 tickets after linking the Aadhaar Card. The limit stands at 6 tickets without linking the Aadhaar card.
Q4: What are the Registration Charges for IRCTC e-Wallet?
Answer: IRCTC e-Wallet attracts a registration charge and this is Rs 50 + taxes. You can make the payment of this charge to avail IRCTC e-Wallet. It must be noted that you would have to verify the PAN Card or Aadhaar Card to activate the wallet.
Q5: What is CNF Probability?
Answer: This is a new feature added by IRCTC. CNF Probability stands for Confirmation probability and it displays the chances of the ticket being confirmed if you are booking a ticket in waitlist. This probability is displayed in a form of percentage so that it is easy for you to understand the same.
Q6: Can I book tickets without IRCTC User ID?
Answer: No, you can’t book a train ticket without an IRCTC User ID. You need to have an ID even if you use the Third-Part Website to book the ticket. However, you can book a ticket without a User ID by visiting the train reservation centre. The offline centres do not require you to have IRCTC ID.
Q7: How to Withdraw Money from IRCTC Wallet?
Answer: As of now, there is no provision to withdraw money from IRCTC Wallet. This is to ensure that people do not misuse the facility. IRCTC is soon planning to come up with their own payment gateway and this might enable the withdrawal facility for the people.
Q8: Can I Cancel IRCTC Counter Tickets?
Answer: Yes, it is possible to cancel the counter ticket online. Simply visit https://www.operations.irctc.co.in/ctcan/SystemTktCanLogin.jsf and enter the details of your tickets to cancel the counter ticket. You will have to validate the cancellation with help of OTP and once that is done, you can collect your refund from any railway counter.
Q9: How do I go about Group Booking on IRCTC?
Answer: IRCTC Portal doesn’t let you make a group booking as of now. You can go ahead and book the tickets for 6 people at a go. If you wish to book a whole coach then you can visit https://www.ftr.irctc.co.in/ftr/ and make the request for coach booking and FTR booking.
Q10: What are the Cancellation Charges for Tatkal Ticket in IRCTC?
Answer: As per the new rules, the cancellation charges on Tatkal tickets are 100% of the ticket amount. This means that you would not get any refund for the confirmed Tatkal ticket. However, the refund will be granted if your ticket is in wait list or in RAC status.
Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation (IRCTC): IRCTC Next Generation eTicketing System
IRCTC Next Generation eTicketing System
IRCTC Next Generation: IRCTC Login website now has many new interesting features like flight, trains tickets booking, PNR status, easy login & registration, live train status and much more.